(taking the 2xx variant)

I tried truss to trace the system calls of both processes. 77631 is not
printing anything.

You don't even get a single line from truss as it attaches?
I wonder if the process is spinning in userland?
Does "top" or similar show it?

If it is, I guess the next step would be to crash it with
a signal, having set up for coredumps (NB, exim is a setuid binary
in most installations.  Security considerations apply).
Of course, it was likely compiled with full optimisation
which will hinder us.  Having a "-O0 -ggdb" build would
help.  I don't know what FreeBSD does about debuginfo;
is that likely to be a separate install item, to get
symbols for the binary?

--------

This happens for messages which get a 4xx or 5xx error.

For all 4xx/5xx ?  Or "when it goes wrong, for those, that's
how it goes" ?

--
Cheers,
  Jeremy