Hi Gabriel,

Dengler, Gabriel via Exim-users <exim-users@exim.org> (Mi 23 Nov 2022 01:16:19
CET):
> I want to store the incoming e-mails using the Maildir file format encrypted
> by using some symmetric encryption using the user's password (e.g., AES). So
> in the end, Exim should write the encrypted files directly on the disk.
> Furthermore, it would be convenient if the actual password is solely
> persistent saved as a hash (for checking at authentication), the real
> password - and therefore the en-/decryption key - is only temporarily
> available during the login session.

Mybe I'm missing the point. The on-disk representation of the password
is a hash. That can't be used for symmetric encryption/decryption.

You want to "grab" the real password during user login, and save it
somewhere for later use as encryption/decryption key?

IMHO no source modification is necessary, $auth2, $auth3 (depending on
the AUTH scheme you use (needs to be PLAIN or LOGIN) contain the
password. You're free to save it whereever you want (using SQL, using
embedded Perl code, using any external command, using readsocket, …)

The encryption I'd do with a "transport_filter", which basically is
can be an "aes-pipe" or similiar.

> Therefore, I wanted to modify the Exim source code directly but was
> confronted with a large amount of code, e.g., the differentiation between
> the different transport types or the many cases considered in the appendfile
> protocol. So I have some questions, where you might help me in the "big
> picture":

As stated, all transports can use a "transport_filter", which should be
able to processing your message on-the-fly, while writing it to the
mailbox file.

> * How to enforce that a user has to authenticate him-/herself with a
> password?

Use ACL to check if the user is authenticated. You should find it in the
example config. Watch out for "authenticated = *".

> * Where is a good point of "grabbing out" the password from the user and how
> to "carry" it to the point where the encryption happens?

The authenticators (authenticators section of the config) have the
password, and the server_condition does string expansion, so you can do
whatever you need there.

        # example, *unchecked*, just served from memory, likely to be
        # wrong

        begin authenticators

        plain:
                driver = plain
                server_advertise_condition = ${if def:tls_in_cipher}
                server_condition = use $auth2 (user name) and $auth3
                                   (password) in a creative way

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann