hi,

 Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 08:55:36, vas wrote about "Re: [Exim-users] домен
mpeks.tomsk.su":

> Вопрос к знатокам почтовых протоколов. Невозможность разрезолвить
> домен получателя - это временная ошибка или постоянная с точки зрения
> доставки почты?

   The lookup first attempts to locate an MX record associated with the
   name.  If a CNAME record is found, the resulting name is processed as
   if it were the initial name.  If a non-existent domain error is
   returned, this situation MUST be reported as an error.  If a
-> temporary error is returned, the message MUST be queued and retried
   later (see Section 4.5.4.1).  If an empty list of MXs is returned,
   the address is treated as if it was associated with an implicit MX
   RR, with a preference of 0, pointing to that host.  If MX records are
   present, but none of them are usable, or the implicit MX is unusable,
   this situation MUST be reported as an error.

(RFC5321 строка 3860, стрелка от меня)

Прямого указания, что SERVFAIL (Server failure, RCODE == 2 в терминах RFC1035)
не увидел, но зато там же есть такое:

Resolvers are responsible for dealing with the distribution of
the domain space and dealing with the effects of name server failure by
consulting redundant databases in other servers.

А в RFC1034 целая глава:

5.2.3. Temporary failures

In a less than perfect world, all resolvers will occasionally be unable
to resolve a particular request.  This condition can be caused by a
resolver which becomes separated from the rest of the network due to a
link failure or gateway problem, or less often by coincident failure or
unavailability of all servers for a particular domain.

It is essential that this sort of condition should not be signalled as a
name or data not present error to applications.  This sort of behavior
is annoying to humans, and can wreak havoc when mail systems use the
DNS.

While in some cases it is possible to deal with such a temporary problem
by blocking the request indefinitely, this is usually not a good choice,
particularly when the client is a server process that could move on to
other tasks.  The recommended solution is to always have temporary
failure as one of the possible results of a resolver function, even
though this may make emulation of existing HOSTS.TXT functions more
difficult.

Думаю, можно на это ссылаться.

> А вообще история мутная. Делегирование tomsk.su прекращалось на
> несколько часов 2 октября, Recent Bounces показываются за 4-6 октября,
> автор groups.io говорит "their DNS records had was fixed
> around 11pm pacific time Friday night. That's when we started to be
> able to send email to them again" (это видимо пятница 5 октября).

Где-то эти SERVFAIL задержались на несколько дней?
Я бы не удивился.

-netch-