I just installed Mandrake 7 yesterday. I cant get pppd to work. It states
something like "The remote computer is requested to authenicate itself
I however am unable to supply [secret] password to get an IP address"

something like this. This does not change whether I am Root, or user.
Actually if from a terminal window I type "pppd" I get the same response.

I installed as low security, tried to change to medium security, no difference

I setup ppp from within linuxconf, and entered a name and "secret"
password to no avail I usually use kppp. I have changed permissions on
pppd, no good. The modem dials out and makes a connection, then
pppd died unexpectedly.

Second, I have managed to crash my X. I get an errno 111, something
about TransSocket error, cant find font "fixed".
Is there a way to fix this??

I recieved the disc with my purchase of Maximum Linux magazine
(Real good I might add)

Brian D. Klar - CVE
OTS
WPAFB