You said:
/common 192,168,1.2(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)
shouldn't that read:
/common 192.168.1.2(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)

I don't think you need the "insecure" param either.

The above is on the boss.somewhere.com box.

On the client (192.168.1.2) NFS box, you should be using:

mount -t nfs boss:/common /mnt/mountpoint

Right?

For me, /etc/exports on elmo.shirley.org (internal domain, of course):
/home/Mandrake          *.shirley.org(ro,no_root_squash)

and on bugsbunny.shirley.org in /etc/fstab:
elmo:/home/Mandrake /mnt/nfs nfs noauto,ro,nosuid,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0

which I can access as root.

Hope this helps,

Bill