So what's in /etc/resolv.conf?
What does nslookup www.linux-mandrake.com say?

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: McDonald, John GSM1 (SIMASD) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2000 5:11 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [expert] Re: DISCUSION Upgrade (fwd)

well i am not sure how you got my e-mail but i'll play! Linux Mandrake user
10 months now. I am up to V7.0 from 6.0 and lovin it! Realistically though
the only reason to upgrade is security or hardware functionallity, but then
all you need to do is upgrade the required libs. If your kernel does it's
job now without flaw or error then there is no real reason for a complete
upgrade. well in my opinion that is.
i do have a question for you though, how do i fix a broken DNS resolve? Ok
here is the scenario...

AMD K6-2 500 PC-100 196MB SDRAM 3COM NIC system up for 29+ days after new
board install. network connectivity via cable modem, road runner is the ISP.
good fast connetion until yesterday morning around 0600! here is what i can
do:

I can ping localhost
I can ping an IP 24.24.244.24
I can obtain an IP with either the ifup eth0 or /etc/rc.d/init.d/network
start commands
I CAN'T resolve a DNS i.e - ping www.linux-mandrake.com, will not resolve
the IP.

all ISP information is correct the NIC is configured correctly and has been
running for 28 days without error or conflict. my ISP has reset my account
and when I ifup eth0 or /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start i can get an IP and
it has been verified by my ISP as correct. I have read all my books (A whole
heap of them!) and cannot seem to find an answer that works or addresses my
issues. I DO NOT want to shut the system down. I am in an uptime competition
with my neighbors NT machine.
I am, or was running a firewall along with numerous other security
implementations, again this system configuration has not changed in the last
month!

Have any ideas?

Mac