I'm still a bit confused on your problem.  I had several Samba problems in
the same configuration area as well and unintentionally became quite
knowledgable at the million ways NOT to configure Samba.  Perhaps you could
provide a 'ls -l' of the dir itself plus its contents.

Here is an example of a locked-down directory on my system that is used for
development.  It was the best I could do with the notoriously poor security
in Windows.  I could have used masks of 0660 as well but most Windows boxes
seem intent on declaring everything executable (and this directory is not
accessed in Linux normally).

[SI]
    comment = Source Integrity
    browseable = yes
    path = /data/SI
    public = no
    guest only = no
    writable = yes
    only user = no
    write list = mzaleski, apalande, kboyd2, kvangord, jchen42
    force user = mzaleski
    force group = VDOuser
    create mask = 0770
    directory mask = 0770