> I have Mandrake 7.1 up and running and for maintenance purposes I want
> log on remotely as root for telnet and ftp from another system.
>
> Right now this seems to be defeated by the system. Can I change this?

I'm not sure in which of two places the problem lies. First, if you
cannot login at all via ftp or telnet, check /etc/inetd.conf and (I
think) /etc/services to make sure these apps are available. If they are
enabled and you cannot login as root (which is highly likely), you can
telnet in as a normal user and "su" to root. I'm not sure how to solve
this issue for ftp access.

You may want to consider installing ssh (OpenSSH for a business
environment - I believe that one is free for commercial use) and using it
instead of telnet since data will be encrypted as it passes over the
network. With telnet all data - passwords and all - are sent in clear
text. Again, I don't know much about ftp. However, a quick search on
freshmeat may turn up some secure ftp client/server.

One last tip if you are using Windows clients to telnet or ssh into your
*nix servers, check out CRT as a replacement for telnet or SecureCRT for
a ssh client for Windows. It's an excellent terminal app - much better
than Windows telnet!

This message was sent using MI-Webmail.
No matter where you are, never lose touch.
Get your Email using MI-Webmail.
http://www.monmouth.com/