Richard Fiedler wrote:

> I have Mandrake 7.1 up and running and for maintenance purposes I want to
> log on remotely as root for telnet and ftp from another system.
>
> Right now this seems to be defeated by the system. Can I change this?

Ummm,

ssh is better than telnet for your purposes, I would say.

Webmin installation will allow you to use telnet nicely as well as control a
host of other things remotely (including server settings such as ftp) and
can be very dangerous if you do not set it up properly (as a potential
security hole).  But login via telnet remotely as an ordinary user and then
su to root to do the things you need--it works.

Civileme