"Bob Puff@NLE" wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I keep getting this in my mail and also in my logs.  Is this normal?
>
> *** Diff Check, Wed Jul  5 04:01:57 EDT 2000 ***
>
> Security Warning: There is modifications for port listening on your machine :
>                 -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0 *:www                   *:*
>                 LISTEN      747/httpd
>                 -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0 *:10000                 *:*
>                 LISTEN      784/perl
>                 -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*
>                 LISTEN      718/master
>                 -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0 *:cfengine              *:*
>                 LISTEN      600/cfd
>                 -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0 *:nntp                  *:*
>                 LISTEN      587/inetd
>                 -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0 *:pop3                  *:*
>                 LISTEN      587/inetd
>                 -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0 *:telnet                *:*
>                 LISTEN      587/inetd
>                 -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*
>                 LISTEN      587/inetd
>                 -  Opened ports : tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*
>                 LISTEN      490/portmap
>                 -  Opened ports : udp        0      0 *:10000                 *:*
>                             784/perl
>                 -  Opened ports : udp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*
>                             490/portmap
>                 - Closed ports  : tcp        0      0 *:www                   *:*
>                 LISTEN      30057/httpd
>
>                 - Closed ports  : tcp        0      0 *:10000                 *:*
>                 LISTEN      825/perl
>                 - Closed ports  : tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*
>                 LISTEN      748/master
>                 - Closed ports  : tcp        0      0 *:cfengine              *:*
>                 LISTEN      630/cfd
>                 - Closed ports  : tcp        0      0 *:nntp                  *:*
>                 LISTEN      617/inetd
>                 - Closed ports  : tcp        0      0 *:pop3                  *:*
>                 LISTEN      617/inetd
>                 - Closed ports  : tcp        0      0 *:telnet                *:*
>                 LISTEN      617/inetd
>                 - Closed ports  : tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*
>                 LISTEN      617/inetd
>                 - Closed ports  : tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*
>                 LISTEN      520/portmap
>                 - Closed ports  : udp        0      0 *:10000                 *:*
>                             825/perl
>                 - Closed ports  : udp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*
>                             520/portmap
>
> *** Security Check, Wed Jul  5 04:02:06 EDT 2000 ***
>
> Security Warning: World Writeable files found :
>                 - /home/bob/http
>                 - /tmp
>                 - /tmp/.X11-unix
>                 - /tmp/.X11-unix/X9
>                 - /tmp/.font-unix
>                 - /tmp/.font-unix/fs-1
>                 - /var/lib/svgalib
>                 - /var/lib/texmf
>                 - /var/lib/texmf/ls-R
> [...]

You DO have webmin running on 10000.  Unless you plan to do
remote control, fire up netscape and

http://127.0.0.1:10000

login is root
password is root's password

Go to Webmin Configuration->IP Access control and tick "allow
only from listed addresses" then type in 127.0.0.1 and any other
addresses you care to access webmin from and SAVE.

Then look around--you have one of the most powerful
administration tools in your own control.  Want to configure
servers, stop processes, set up boot defaults, look at disk
partitioning?  It's all there and more.

Civileme