3 important questions are preceeded with ***

I have had the need to learn how to build a new kernel
(ok, not so bad at all) for using VPN masq, to allow
LAN client access to work VPN.  I grabbed the 2.2.15
patch for VPN, and had 3 error hunks after the patch.
Ok, no problem since they were easy to add into the code.
I then did the following steps...

cd /usr/linux      # linked to linux2.2.16-9mdk
make clean
make menuconfig
# turned on ip_masq_ipsec option as a module
make dep
make bzImage       # took 15 minutes
# copied to /boot/vm-vpn and modified Grub's menu.lst

So now I wanted to be able to compile only the required
modules for ip_masq_ipsec.  *** How do I do that ?
I ran 'make modules' which took 45 minutes, and then
ran 'make modules install'.  Is there not a way to just
compile the modules I want and then manually copy them
into /lib/modules/* ?  I checked the Makefiles but could
not see any such option.

*** Another thing, how to compile a *secure* kernel version ?
Looking at /usr/linux/Makefile
    VERSION = 2
    PATCHLEVEL = 2
    SUBLEVEL = 16
    EXTRAVERSION = -9mdk
So how this is not the -9mdksecure version.  How upgraded
from 2.2.15mdk to 2.2.16mdk-secure via MandrakeUpdate but
I don't know if the actual source is the secure version.
What are the differences.

*** When a kernel is running, how can you tell if it is a
secure kernel version ?

Thanks... Dan.