Submitted 22-Aug-00 by BillK:
> Tony McGee wrote:
> Thanks Tony, I have found a binfmt-aout, misc and java in the modules/fs
> directories.  Do you have any more info or pointers to info that may
> help me understand what these modules do and which I actually need?

binfmt_aout is for executing old style a.out type binaries.  Many older
programs that were based on libc5 use this format.  binfmt_java is
depecated (i.e. do not use it).  It's functionality is now included in
binfmt_misc.

Finally, binfmt_misc is support for miscellaneous binaries.
Essentially, you register the "magic-cookie" of the binary type with the
kernel (for example, a DOS file's .com extension, a java .class, or even
the MZ that is the first two characters of a dos/win .exe file) and
define what wrapper program is used to execute them.  With this
mechanism, it is possible to automagically launch dosemu to run dos
programs, WINE to run Windows binaries, or a Java VM to run java
applications.

--
Anton Graham                            GPG ID: 0x18F78541
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 RSA key available upon request

Death comes on every passing breeze,
He lurks in every flower;
Each season has its own disease,
Its peril -- every hour.