Perhaps what the others respondents mean, is why go this path instead of
the more usual "patch if required|make xconfig|make dep|make|make_modules|
etc" using the installed kernel rpms or even a kernel.org tarball.  Works
fine on the 2.2.16 update for 7.1(read the docs on the mandrake site for
hints such as not overwriting the original kernel on make install).  Even
noticed a slight speed increase when K6 was selected over the default. (I
needed a full build to be present for lm_sensors to compile)

BillK