1) 100Mb is not a lot, is something trying to write a large file to disk
and blocking?  I have seen reccomendations that 15% free as the point
where action to clear some space should be taken, with the 10% point
where noticeable performance penalties can be expected to occur (e2fs).
I have also seen systems which create large numbers of temp files which
do not dissappear until enough space to finish processing occurs -
things like sorting etc uses a lot of memory/disk space depending on
task/setup/system - its feasable that with so many things failing to
access the disk, its incidental warnings are masking the cause.

2) reboot into single mode and fsck the disk (all disks) - yes you can
try and do while up or just shut down to single user, but a reboot is
the only SURE way that you do not have something unexpected that will
invalidate what your trying to do (Take note of the warning when
fsck'ing a mounted disk!!!).

>From your posts, it sounds like you have tried to keep the machine
up/online, which when something unknown is happening may be putting your
data at risk - reboot and remove the doubt!

BillK