Submitted 21-Oct-00 by Praedor Tempus:

> I log in as root or superuser and try to chmod portions of the
> drive as writeable to all, but I keep getting "operation not
> permitted" messages.  Excuse me?  As root I can do anything I
> want.

You can't change permissions on individual files/directories on a file
system that doesn't support permissions.  There's no place to store the
information.

> messages but I am not permitted to change one lousy mount, or
> portions thereof, to be world-writeable?

You need to mount it with appropriate permissions.  Specifically a umask.
What I did on a dual boot machine was added all users I wanted to have write
access to the partition to a new group called "fatusers" (group number 527
here) then editted the /etc/fstab entry for the partition to include
gid=527,umask=007.  What this does is gives full read/write privileges to
root and members of that group, and nobody else can even cd into the mount
point.

> What do I have to do AS ROOT to do this?  I cannot do "chmod 777"
> on it, let alone ANY other variation of chmod on /mnt/DOS_hdb6
> OR any subdirectory on it.  Why not?

See above.

--
Anton Graham                            GPG ID: 0x18F78541
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 RSA key available upon request

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro..."
  -- Hunter S. Thompson