I'm having trouble using the tcsh shell.  Specifically, the
shell init files have been giving me errors.  I tried playing
around with them, but haven't had much luck.  I'm used to these
files being in csh syntax, but the ones in the Mandrake
installation seem to be in bash format, and that seems to be a
part of my confusion.

To be more specific, I am currently getting these errors on
login which come from my /etc/csh.login file:

id: Command not found.
id: Command not found.
id: Command not found.
[: Command not found.
test: Command not found.

This is the /etc/csh.cshrc file:
#  /etc/cshrc
#
# csh configuration for all shell invocations. Currently, a prompt.
[ "`id -u`" = "0" ] && limit coredumpsize 1000

if ($?prompt) then
   if ($?tcsh) then
     set prompt='%n:%~ \!> '
   else
     set prompt=\[`id -nu`@`hostname -s`\]\$\
   endif
endif

if (! $?LOGIN_READ) then
   source /etc/csh.login
endif

-----------------------
This is the /etc/csh.login file:
# /etc/csh.login

# System wide environment and startup programs for csh users
setenv LOGIN_READ 1

if ($?PATH) then
         setenv PATH "${PATH}:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin"
else
         setenv PATH "/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin"
endif

# this line was also producing an error:
#limit coredumpsize 0

[ `id -gn` = `id -un` -a `id -u` -gt 14 ]
if $status then
         umask 022
else
         umask 002
endif

setenv HOSTNAME `/bin/hostname`
set history=500

test -d /etc/profile.d
if ($status == 0) then
         set nonomatch
         foreach i ( /etc/profile.d/*.csh )
                 test -f $i
                 if ($status == 0) then
                         source $i
                 endif
         end
         unset i nonomatch
endif

You'll notice I had to put code in at the end of csh.cshrc to
get csh.login read because in the original configuration it
was being ignored, while what I've read about the login process
led me to believe that it was supposed to be read by default.

smalltime industries  brings you the latest in games, information,
art, and interplanetary transport.  Visit us at www.smalltime.com