From: Praedor Tempus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 7:29 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] kde2 on Mandrake 7.1

Aravind Sadagopan wrote:

> Can anybody tell me what are the packages to be installed to upgrade my Mandrake 7.1
>
> system to support kde2..Any pointers are lso welcome

Heh, heh.

It turns out that you will have to upgrade almost everything.

To install and use kde 2.0, you need to upgrade rpm and menu.  These
upgrades require glibc to be upgraded to THE latest (and by some
accounts,
broken) version.  THIS breaks almost every app on your system so you
also
have to upgrade them (just download the latest glibc-2.96 or whatever it
is and try to install it WITHOUT using the --nodeps or --force switch,
you will get a LONG list of rpms that will be broken if you install it.
These rpms are the same ones you would have to upgrade).

I am debated breaking my stable 7.1 system just for the sake of using
kde 2.0.  You have to essentially make your system an unstable cooker
or 7.2beta system to make all things right.

praedor