> > Gerald Williams wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Not fud, it is a factual description of what is happening with my
> > > system.
> >
> > If you had said the above, the first time, I probably would not have
> > replied. It is screwed up on your system--ok, but don't go on about it
> > being totally broken.  Try upgrading your qt to the correct version and
> > try again. If you want to continue, take it off list.
>
> My qt IS updated.  The latest qt2 packages were the first I upgraded
> since KDE is absolutely dependent upon it.
>
> Few questions.  What version of libstdc++ do you have?  What
> version of menu?  What version of rpm?

libstdc++-2.95.2-7mdk
menu-2.1.5-42mdk
rpm-3.0.5-25mdk
glibc-2.1.3-15mdk
pam-0.72-12mdk
qt2-2.2.1-1mdk

> I believe these packages are the only logical possible problems,
> at least in my case.  During rpm install of most of the KDE
> packages and the install of qt2, my /usr/bin/update-menus
> crashes/core dumps.  This binary is supplied by menu.  Menu
> requires the appropriate libstdc++ (I believe).  It also,
> obviously, ties into the rpm install process.
>
> I am HOPING it is merely something simple like libstdc++,
> that all I need to do is install the proper version.  During
> an attempt to build qt2 source several days ago, the build
> would fail because the configure script couldn't find
> libstdc++.  Bizarre, because libstdc++ is right there in
> /usr/lib, which is in my /etc/ld.so.conf file, and I have
> run ldconfig in an attempt to make sure it is "known" about.
>
> praedor

I believe there is a newer qt build than the one I have installed, and my
system is really a hybrid of Mandrake 7.1, 7.2, and cooker. I switched over
from 1.1.2 completely at the 1.93 beta because I wanted to use Koffice.  I
also completely deleted all of kde1.1.2 before installing the new files in
/usr.  I've had  a problem with no sound and a problem with Wordperfect
Office 2000 not working. I'm still trying to sort out the wpo problem.

I should add I'm running the 2.2.17 kernel and xfree86 4.01.  I'm sure your
problem is something simple...most problems are when you finally figure
them out.

Jerry

--
Gerald Williams -- Words Matter!