On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, andy b wrote:

> ok... I bought 127 megs of ram to add to my 64 megs
> my bios recognises 192 megs... but Linux only recognises 64 (even if I only put
> in the 128 meg module)
> it would be nice to triply my ram... any ideas?

Have you tried using the "mem=" switch in the bootloader? On a 512MB
system, I had to append "mem=511M" to the "linux" line under
/boot/menu.lst, winding up with a line that looks like this:

title linux
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hd5 mem=511M

Note that the number is one less than the total number of meg in the
syste. I don't know if that's necessary in general, or just in the
specific case of the i810-based motherboard I'm using, but if I set it to
512M I get a kernel panic during boot-up.

- Jeff