Michael Powell PhD wrote:

> Can someone please tell me how to get permission to enter /mnt/cdrom,
> /mnt/cdrom2, and /mnt/floppy: When I try to enter as "root" it keeps
> saying
> inode/directory LOCKED!! I've tried chmod on the /mnt/XXX and /dev/XXX,
> but nothing seems to help. How can "root be not allowed to access these
> mount points? Please reply with any help or even a pointer.
>
> Michael
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Michael,
Look at the man page for mount. In particular, the paragraph that references
owner/user in the fstab file. If your fstab entry for the cdrom or floppy has
owner as one of the options then ONLY the owner of the special file, i.e. the
file that /dev/cdrom and/or /dev/floppy is linked to, has permission to mount
the cdrom or floppy. By changing the owner of these /dev files to your
account will allow you to mount the cdrom and floppy, provided owner is an
option in the /etc/fstab file. By changing the option in the /etc/fstab file
from owner to user or users, then any user has permission to mount the cdrom
or floppy.

Kip Stahl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]