fred

>>> expert 11/06/00 19:09 >>>

fred

>>> expert 11/06/00 17:34 >>>

fred

>>> expert 11/06/00 16:07 >>>

fred

>>> expert 11/06/00 15:23 >>>

O.K., I think I found the solution. (I think!  I'll have to
wait more than 20 minutes to verify.)

When doing a diff on the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 files from
Mandrake 7.1 and Mandrake 7.2, there's an option now enabled
in the 7.2 file for DPMS, which wasn't there in 7.1 (which I
assume is related to monitor power, but I'm not sure what it
stands for exactly):

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "NVIDIA GeForce 256 (generic)"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    Driver      "nv"
#    VideoRam    4096
    # Clock lines

    # Uncomment following option if you see a big white block
    # instead of the cursor!
    #    Option      "sw_cursor"

        #### commented out 11/6/00 to stop the monitor powering off ...
    #Option      "DPMS"
EndSection

Now that I commented it out, it is not powering off any more :)

I don't know whose arbitrary decision it was to assume that I
wanted my monitor to turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity,
but I DON'T LIKE IT!  I can understand Microsoft assuming that
I would like that kind of behavior by default, but I wouldn't
have expected it from Mandrake... hmmm ... it seems like
this distro. is more headed towards the mainstream newbie windoze98
type of crowd... what a shame :(

GenEric