fred

>>> expert 11/06/00 19:53 >>>

fred

>>> expert 11/06/00 19:40 >>>

fred

>>> expert 11/06/00 18:53 >>>

fred

>>> expert 11/06/00 17:17 >>>

Here is what I eventually did to fix mine:

I compiled a custom kernel (4.0 test9) with the following options:
SCSI support: On
SCSI CD-ROM support: Module
SCSI Generic support: On

Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support: Off
SCSI emulation support: Module

I also had to edit the etc/modules.conf file installed by Mandrake:
# alias block-major-11 scsi-hostadapter  (commented this out)
alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi                 (added this in)

VIOLA!  it works.

Here is what I discovered:
with the block-major-11 alias in, mounting /dev/cdrom (scd0) loads the
ide-scsi module (nothing else), but I then get the "major number" error.

If I comment out the block-major-11 alias, I get the same error, but the
sr_mod module and the cdrom module are both loaded.

If I manually load the ide-scsi module, I can mount the drive successfulyy.

So, I need to play with the aliases in modules.conf some more, but I am
close.

Hope this helps in your quest.

Thx... HH