On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 11:45:30PM -0400, skidley wrote:
> I like this method it sounds very useful but I get lost when you talk
> about emacs, I'm not familiar with Emacs I use pico as my editor due to
> its simplicity. Would you mind explaining exactly how I could set emacs up
> to easily search for packages like this?

You could probably use Pico for this as well. I specified emacs because it
has a reverse search: hit C-r and you search backwards. That lets me
create the file by entering the name of the CD, then reading each CD.

I suppose if pico doen't have a reverse search, you can build the file by
reading the CD, then entering the label. That way, you find the package
you want, then search forward to the label.

Also, for building the file, emacs lets you revert (reload) the buffer,
which is easier than closing it down and re-opening it to reload the
buffer.

Emacs has a tremendous learing curve; after almost ten years with emacs
and variants, I'm still learning about it. But it is a very powerful
environment, so I have found it well worth learning. I used to do a lot of
work on NT and W9x, where I also used emacs, and found it the best editor
available. So I also recommend it for portability. I believe vi is
available for NT, but I am not aware of any ports of pico to NT.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley