John,

> I have checked the logs, no probs. They show eth0, lo,
> network, route suceeded just fine.
> I have run ifconfig, and here I only get the lo
> showing up, with no mention of the card(etho).
> I have run "netstat eth0" and seen its alive.. )
> I have run ifup eth0 and gotten the following:
> siocsifflages: No such device
> sioaddrt: Network is down
> sioaddrt: Network is unreachable

I have had similar problems on occasion. I have resolved it
by checking that the ethernet cables are securely attached
(computer end and hub/switch).  Try a different cable if you
have one (or borrow one). Otherwise, the problem has been
that the network card got loose in the computer. Try re-seating
it in its' PCI slot (pull it out and make sure it goes in snug).
Of course you need to do this with the computer off, and grounding
yourself (keep a body part touching the metal case) before messing
around with the inside parts.

Thanks... Dan.