On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 07:41:23AM -0700, Stefan Srdic wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me that the original poster "must" use the "options"
> > keyword in his /etc/modules.conf file because he is using
> > an NE2000 (or compatible) ISA NIC card, which requires you to
> > give address & IRQ information.
> >
> > I also have 2 NIC cards in my machine at home, but I only have
> > 1 NE2000 compatible ISA NIC card (the other is a PCI non-NE2000).
> >
> > I would try:
> >
> > options eth0 io=0x300 irq=11
> > options eth1 io=0x280 irq=10
> >
> > which should work since eth0 & eth1 are aliases (according to
> > the man page for modules.conf).
> >
> > Good luck.
> >

> > Ron Heron wrote:
> > >
> > > Have you tried NOT using the options? if that doesn't
> > > work, try placing the options lines after their
> > > respective alias lines.
> > >

> Thanks for both of your replies, I attemped once again to set these
> NICs up. I edited the conf.modules file to look like:
>
> alias eth0 ne
> alias eth0 ne

Er, I suspect one of those should be eth1??

> options eth0 ne-0 io=0x300 irq=11
> options eth1 ne-1 io=0x280 irq=10
>
> >From what I have read (ethernet HOW-TO, Modules.conf man pages) this
> loads the module for each respective alias. After making these
> ajusments I modprobed eth0 and modprode eth1 with no error messages!
> Afterwards I restarted my network using the "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network
> restart" command and received an error when bringing up interface eth1.
>
> The ouput looks like this:
>
> Shuting down interface eth0   [Ok]
> Shuting down interface eth1   [Ok]
> Disabling packet forwading    [Ok]
> Setting network parameters    [Ok]
> Bringing up interfeace lo             [Ok]
> Bringing up interfeace eth0   [Ok]
> Bringing up interfeace eth1 Delaying eth1 initialization
>                               [Failed]
>
> I have eth0 set to 192.168.0.3 with a 24
> bit subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and eth1 set to 192.168.0.3 with a 24
> bit subnet mask so an IP addressing error is out of the question.

Not if they're both set to the same IP address, or on the same
network. Did you mean, say, 192.168.0.3\24 and 192.168.1.3\24??
                                    ^                  ^

> Before I made these ajusments to the /etc/conf.modules file I used to
> receive a "Device or resource busy" error when bringing up interface
> eth1. We can almost rule out any hardware or firmware conflict now.
> How can I take a look at my devices resources (IO's and IRQ's) and see
> which modules are using them?

/proc is your friend....

cat /proc/interrupts

and

cat /proc/ioports

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley