Dear reader(s),

I have a machine running RH Linux. It's taken me a long time and numerous package
downloads to set this up just so...

The Linux machine now acts as an intranet server and provides access to the outside
world for my other machines.

Anyway, that's the background, now for the problem:

Just lately I've started to notice a low frequency whirring sound when the machine is
initially powered up. This remains
for about a minute and then goes. I'm diagnosing this as the beginning of a failure of
my hard disk, the one with all the
Linux bits on it.

Ideally I would find the following course of action least daunting:

1) Buy a new hard drive. The existing one is 8 MByte. I would like a larger ~20MByte
replacement.

2) Duplicate the contents if the existing drive on the new one. The new one may have
extra partitions if the partitions on
it are exactly the same size as on the old disk.

3) Take out the old disk, or maybe even leave it in there as an extra disk and place
the new one in as the main /dev/hda
boot disk.

4) Power On the PC and the system comes up exactly as it used to before the noise
started (with some extra disk space).

Am I hoping for too much or is there a utility out there that can help me do this.

Thanks for reading this.

Regards,

Tej..