If it's any consolation, I had the same problem with SuSE, and RedHat.
The problem for me was fixed when I upgraded to 2.2.16 with the hendrick
IDE patches (I used the SuSE kernel)  Mandrake 7.2 has the 2.2.17 with the
patches.  You don't need to upgrade to 7.2, just download the SRPMS for
the kernel and upgrade your kernel.  Also, don't use the VMWare provided
samba "configure for you" option, and enable DMA where you can.  As for
oversize frame buffer, that comes from several things, including loopbacks
(vmware host option could be doing this, i don't know).

Also, are you by any chance using Maxtor hard drives?

good luck - ron