I have asked this question several times before under different subjects,
but still no answer and I still haven't found a solution myself yet. My
problem is that NOT ANY of the window managers or desktops will start
correctly from a cold boot, but require a reset.

When I turn on my computer for the first time, it goes thru the bootup
process without any errors, but when starting into X, there is a slight
pause of 4 or 5 seconds then the background screen appears, after a bit you
see the X pointer then the watch(which face changes from white to
transparent several times) then the KDE splash screen starts to slowly
draw. At this point, I can sometimes do a ctl-alt F1 and get to console
mode and do a shutdown restart from there, but sometimes not. If I wait
till the icons start to appear, the system is locked up and I have to do a
reset. After a reset, the system goes thru the bootup process again, doinf
a fsck because the system was shut down improperly the comes up normally,
Music and all.  The same thing happens with Gnome. I have tried with and
without autologin, and with and without Aurora... no change.  Starting in
run level 3 and doing startx, I get the same thing.

My system is a AMD K6 2+ 450 with 64 mb ram. This is LM 7.2 I did not have
this problem with a highly updated 7.1 I also have tried KDE2.0. 2.01 and
2.1.0

Any help on this would be highly appreciated.

Jerry

--
Gerald Williams
Words Matter!  Bangkok, Thailand