On 01.26 David Dennis wrote:
> why take a chance your links or dot files will be missed with a mv or cp
> when tar gets it all and preserves everything 100% with one command
> ?  just curious.

'cp -a' does it all right, I used it to change my drive and cloned all
my system. It works ok with devices, special files, permissions, links, etc.
Just clones whatever you give. See man cp.
(btw, much much faster that tar, cpio, etc)

--
J.A. Magallon                                                      $> cd pub
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          $> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.4.1-pre10 #4 SMP Wed Jan 24 00:20:15 CET 2001 i686