On 03.18 Clint Olson wrote:
> ----------snip--------------
> > anyways the new nvidia drivers are cool ! i've just installed them
> > to my 7.2
> > mandrake box and it's stable and fast.
> -----------snip------------
>
> I agree.  I don't know what everybody means about NVIDIA's Linux drivers
> being binary-only.  Personally, the (binary) RPM didn' work for me, and I
> had to download their source tarballs and compile them.  After that they
> worked fine :)

Look carefully to your .tar.gz 'source' driver. You will see three files:

-rw-rw-r--    1 nobody   nogroup    644928 Mar 13 15:33 Module-nvkernel
-rw-rw-r--    1 nobody   nogroup    280133 Mar 13 15:33 nvrmapi.lib
-rw-rw-r--    1 nobody   nogroup    265880 Mar 13 15:33 xf86nvrmapi.lib

that are the big deal of the drivers. They are binary and they are what
does the hard work. You do not have the source for those files. The rest
of the files, what sure are C source files, are just glue code or wrappers
between the kernel and nVidia's code.

Which is the difference ? For example, the 767 version crashes with some
systems and kernel AGP. If those .lib were in source format, someone would
have yet found the cause. This way, you have to wait that nVidia people
can reproduce the crash, trying to build a system similar to those that
lock up.

--
J.A. Magallon                                                      $> cd pub
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                          $> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.4.2-ac20 #2 SMP Tue Mar 13 15:49:10 CET 2001 i686