tony K. wrote:

> At 14:31 19-03-01 +1100, you wrote:
>
>>> How does one take the inventory of rpm packages installed on an
>>> existing system (M7.2)
>>

>> rpm -qa > "./package list.txt"
>

>>> and then import the list to rpmDrake
>>> (or similar) on an M8.0 installed system?
>>

>> Hmm. Not sure what you mean here - please elaborate...
>

> Do whatever can be done so that (to the extent possible - i.e,

> as much as the members of the list are available on the new

> system) those packages are installed on the new system without

> manually picking from a list of over a thousand...

What you're asking may be pretty difficult from what I've seen

of the MDK 8.0 RPM list.  They done so much package sub-dividing
and renaming (I really, REALLY wish they'd quit that.  Makes
trying to install 3rd party packages a PITA.)

Basically you need to install 8.0 in the upgrade mode, that way
you let it do all the guess work.  But even that way you'll
probably get a lot of extra stuff you may not have wanted.

     Woody

Gatewood Green         Web Developer
http://www.linux.org/  The first stop for Linux info on the Net
Email:                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
All opinions expressed by me are my own and not necessarily
endorsed by Linux Online, Inc. or Linux Headquarters, Inc.