Never mind, I found it.  I needed to do a modprobe joydev and ns558 also....

Now I'm having trouble setting video modes.  xmame really requires modes such
as 320x240 to work better fullscreen.

How do I set a video mode?  (Under XFree86 4.0.3.)  My XF86Config contains
Modelines for various low resolution video modes including 320x240, 400x300,
and others.  But nothing I can do can get any of these modes recognized by
anything (never mind xmame).  If I manually add "320x240" to any "Modes"
lines in XF86Config-4, or if I add them in XF86Config, I still don't get
them.  Also, when I do XFdrake, it doesn't see the 320x240 or other low
resolution modes.  I really have little idea where even to begin.