Since installing LM8 over my working LM7.1 system, I have problems
with MySQL.

Trying to access my virtual domain using phpWeblog
--------------------------------
    http://www.sample.com/stories.php  (fake name)

    Warning: Access denied for user: 'sample@localhost' (Using password: NO) in
    /home/sample/public_html/include/common.inc.php on line 60
    Unable to connect to database sample. Be sure to edit include/common.inc.php.

Every night the mysql log rotation fails...
--------------------------------
    errors occured while rotating /var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log {

    ^G/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'
    error running shared postrotate script for /var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log {

I have proper settings in /root/.my.cnf file with root user/pass which works.

I also have problems with using phpMyAdmin from my server domain.
--------------------------------
    Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user: 'dwoods@localhost'
    (Using password: NO) in /home/dwoods/public_html/phpMyAdmin/lib.inc.php3 on line
170
    Error

All this worked before the new install. The part that bothers me is
    "(Using password: NO)"
Why?  I only see this when I use "mysql -u root" without the -p option.

Is this a PHP and MySQL problem ?  I think not since log rotation also fails.

The thing I don't understand is that connecting from the command line
    mysql -u dbuser -p sample
does work, so permissions should be fine.

MySQL-shared-3.23.36-2mdk
MySQL-client-3.23.36-2mdk
MySQL-3.23.36-2mdk
perl-Mysql-1.22_15-5mdk
php-mysql-4.0.4pl1-6mdk

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Jul 29 13:05 /var/lib/mysql ->
/usr/local/mysql/
drwxr-x--x   16 root     adm           424 Jul 31 09:08 /usr/
drwxr-x--x   29 root     adm          4096 Jul 30 14:47 /usr/local/
drwxr-xr-x    6 mysql    mysql        4096 Aug  5 01:26 /usr/local/mysql/
drwx--x---    2 mysql    mysql        4096 Apr 26 12:42 /usr/local/mysql/mysql/
drwx--x---    2 mysql    mysql        4096 Jul 19 22:20 /usr/local/mysql/sample/

host: Host      Db      Select_priv
localhost       %       N

db: Host        Db      User    Select_priv
localhost       sample  dbuser  Y
localhost       %       root    Y
localhost       %       admin   Y
localhost       mysql   dbuser  Y

user: Host      User    Select  Insert  Update  Delete  Create_priv
localhost       root    Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
localhost       admin   Y       Y       Y       Y       Y
localhost       dbuser  Y       Y       Y       Y       N

Thanks... Dan.