> > Does anyone know why my Mandrake 7.2 /etc/skel directory has an empty subdirectory
>in it
> > called "tmp"?
>
> I know that vim uses ~/tmp to store backup files.  That's the only one
> that I know of for certain.   I'm not a vim guru, but I imagine you could
> override that in your .vimrc.  I'm just too lazy to look right now!

I strongly suggest you leave it alone, for security reasons.

By default Mandrake now sets $TMP and $TMPDIR to point to a user's
own ~/tmp directory to improve security.  There have been many cases
of programs and scripts being compromised by the use of temporary
files in /tmp with wrong permissions, or symlink attacks.

Every program/script that needs to create temporary *should* be checking,
and using, the values in $TMP or $TMPDIR.

Thanks... Dan.