Ken Thompson wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 November 2001 03:32 am, you wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I use 56K dialup.  And in kppp/Details, I have a "Local" and "Remote" IP.
> > By telneting into both IPs, it seems that the "Local" IP is actually my
> > computer...
> >
> > So why do I have 2 IPs?  What does it achieve?
> >
> > Windows doesn't do this, I think.

Umm, actually it does. All OS's AFAIK have this characteristic. Trying
pinging 127.0.0.1 (or localhost so long as the box has a hosts file) on
any windows machine and you'll see a response so long as tcp/ip is set
up and functional. This address represents the local machine and is used
by a variety of services even on a windows box. Guidescope is one such
package as an example. It blocks banner ads from the web in your browser
as you surf and does so as a proxy (as far as your browser knows anyway)
at address 127.0.0.1.

--
Mike Rambo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]