On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 02:56, you wrote:
> First of all I must say I am not an nvidia fanatic or
> so, I dont like the drivers be closed-source either.
> But I believe that nvidia cards are the best opengl
> cards around,and despite the source is closed, nvidia
> is doing a great job for linux. For the following,
> there are things to be corrected. All I am saying here
> have been tested with nvidia tnt2 ultra, geforce DDR
> and geforce 2 MX.

Back to the original question: Best Video Cards for Linux:

nVidia uses either unaccelerated , 2-D only drivers which *are* supported
or
closed-source drivers from nVidia which are *not* supported (by either the
distro vendor or nVidia)

Now, not to say that the closed-source drivers do not work - there are tons
of people who have working, accelerated nVidia cards running under various
distros. (note that there are also tons of people who cannot make the driver
work no matter how hard they try.
This is logical given all the various models, RAM configs & BIOS revs. of the
cards themselves, plus all the mobos & other paraphenalia that make up the
h/w config itself.

The implications for this are simple, however - if you want support under
Linux, from either your distro vendor or the card vendor, an nVIDIA will not,
at the current time,  give you this.
If you're happy tweaking, trawling the net, and (small percentage), having to
give up, then the nVIDIA cards can provide a ripper of a card
--
john in syd