In this message I have two questions, I hope you could help me ^_^

I have a home net composed by the main computer (Pentium III 800,
conected to internet by a cable-modem and runing Mandrak 8.1) and a
Toshiba laptop (celeron 400 conected to the main computer and to
internet by IP masquering; that runs Mandrake 8.0 because I have found
problems to configurate the screen under 8.1; I think is a problem with
XFree86 4.1).

I have configured without problems a usb scanner (Epson Perfection 1200
USB) using MDK 8.0 (mknod /dev/usb/usbscanner0 c 180 48; chmod 666
/dev/usb/usbscanner0, insmod usbcore, insmod usb-uhci, insmod scanner
vendor=0x04b8 product=0x0104; modifying the /etc/sane.d/epson.conf file
putting the last line: usb /dev/usb/usbscanner0) and it is runing fine
from the laptop, but from the main computer runing 8.1 the scanner is
not detected.

After read some messages in the list, I am thinking this could be a
problem with the use in 8.1 of devs instead of dev (this main computer
has also a mandrake 8.0 installed and from this the scanner is accesible
without problems.

I have used also scanner-drake, the scanner is well detected and
¿configured?, but xsane don't detect it and stops.

¿What can I do to?

Second question
I have activated the scanner updating xsane, xsane-gimp and all the
related dependencies in the laptop and the new look is splendid :-).

I have heard about the kde 2.2 faster than the 2.1 releases, so I would
like to update it in the laptop. I think that to do that the files
coming with the Mandrake 8.1 cds could be enought, couldn't be?
I don't know, perhaps I do need download the packages from any mandrake
update url, do I?

Anyway, what are the files I need to update? I suposse that the kde
files and some libs; do you know where can I find the whole list of
files to be updated?
Will the libs updated give me problems with others packages?

Thanks in advance for the help, yours sincerely

Francisco Alcaraz
Murcia (Spain)