I finally found out what's happening - the default color for the
background has changed.  If you run 'xrdb -query | grep Back' you'll see
that the background color has been changed to #fffff0.
If this resource is removed, the problem with viewing the 3D effects of
the buttons in Xemacs and other programs, e.g. tkhylafax and exmh, goes
away.

I can't figure out where in the system that this resource is being set,
so I've put a script in /etc/X11/xinit.d that has the single line:

xrdb -remove  "*Background"

Now the background color for Xemacs is it's old, nicely contrasting
gray, and xterm's come up with a white background instead of dirty yellow.