Darren King wrote:

> Right now, I am using a mandrake 8.0 machine to connect to the internet
> using dhcp (@home cable).  I want to set up a network so my windows xp
> (gaming machine) can connect to the internet through my linux machine. I
> want to hide the windows machine behind the linux one to keep it safe.
>
> Do I have to have 2 NIC's in my linux machine?  1 going to the hub and
> one to the cable modem to do this?  are there any good docs on how to
> set this up?
>
> Darren

Well Darren, as usual, there is more than one answer to your query but
only one *safe* answer, and that is yes. If you are really concerned
about security, you would want to keep all machines on your private LAN.
This would mean having your Linux box acting as a
router/gateway/firewall for your internel network. The easiest method is
to install two nics in the Linux router, one for the externel network
(internet) and one binded to the internel network (LAN).

There is an abundance of documentation for this type of setup on the
web. Just hit the search engines, and you will be off and flying in no
time at all....

Have fun,
--
J. Craig Woods