hi,

I've got a soyo k7v dragon raid plus mobo here, and "raid" stands for
this useless promise "raid"-controller.

*Without* raid features enabled, the controller works very fast and
reliable for ATA133. But it's raid feature is definetively not worth
playing around with it (I spent too many hours with it) unless you do
really have to (e.g. you have already set up windoze to acess drives
using the "raid"-controller).

excerpt from the kernel documentation on controllers like the PDC one:
----CUT----
  Say Y or M if you have an IDE Raid controller and want linux
  to use its softwareraid feature.  You must also select an
  appropriate for your board low-level driver below.

  Note, that Linux does not use the Raid implemetation in BIOS, and
  the main purpose for this feature is to retain compatibility and
  data integrity with other OS-es, using the same disk array. Linux
  has its own Raid drivers, which you should use if you need better
  performance.

udo