I've mentioned this before, but you might also want to check out some
example firewalling scripts which would probably enlighten you a bit
more than just simply reading the iptables documentation.  There are
some good ones here:

  http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables

Probably the one that I liked the most had lots of comments and was
somewhat more organized than a lot of other scripts that I have looked
at.  That one can be found here:

  http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/scripts/rc.firewall_023.txt

BTW, if you are running a simple in-house network where you aren't
overly concerned about internal attacks, you could just allow all local
TCP packets through your firewall.  You probably will want to block all
connections to X (port 6000) from the external world though.  Something
like this will allow everything on your LAN to pass through the firewall.

  INTIF=eth1                                # network interface
connected to your LAN
  INTNET=192.168.1.0               # network associated with your LAN
  /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i $INTIF -s $INTNET -j ACCEPT
  /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -s $INTNET -j DROP        # dump anything else
claiming to be on LAN

--Rob