I had to download the source rpm, fix a braindead inability to find librecode
(I installed the mandrake rpms for recode and recode-devel but it installs
the devel libs in /usr/local/lib!  What other Mandrake-native rpm does this?
None.  Why does recode-devel and only recode-devel want to install there?)

Rebuilding pybliographic seems to have fixed the problem as I am now once
again able to edit reference db entries.  Whew!  Was worried there for a
minute.  Cannot live without a decent reference manager.

praedor