OK  things move on - with a degree of embarrassment  :o/

Following on from some of Larry Swords comments  I ran the card down to the
European web site (makes sense, I bought the card in Scotland).  I had the
opportunity here to d/l a manual.  Query, if there is a manual available why
wasn't it in the box?  Maybe it was but on the windows disk.  Hmmmmmmm

Anyway, d/l the manual and have a glance through.

Well, that's certainly a better set-up diagram than the leaflet - let's see
if everything is as per... well, the cd line is to the right place tick one.
The line in is.... Oh sh&t, check back with the leaflet... degree of
confusion, check with the manual, none at all.  Replace line out one socket
up.

Run Control Centre and sound card configuration and a LOUID american voice
tells me that my card is configured!  A quick run of a cd and it plays.  Oh
Joy.

Further check shows that /etc/modules.conf is as per:

alias usb-interface usb-uhci

# ALSA native device support
options snd snd_major = 116 snd_cards_limit = 1

#OSS/Free setup

probeall scsi_hostadapter advansys
alias eth0 3c59x
alias sound-slot-0 es1371

Certainly seems a bit less elaborate than before.

OK another test, shutdown and reboot.

Dmesg now shows:

es1371: version v0.30 time 01:49:49 Mar 15 2002
es1371: found chip, vendor id 0x1274 device id 0x5880 revision 0x02
es1371: found es1371 rev 2 at io 0xcc00 irq 11
es1371: features: joystick 0x0
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7608 (SigmaTel STAC9708)

plus an illegal CDROM request

sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.

Furthermore there is no swelling chord when the KDE screen opens and there is
an error message:

Sound server fatal error:
cpu overload, aborting

It seems that artsd is failing to connect somewhere.  A further test shows
that noatun refuses to run HOWEVER calling up KDE Sound Server, restarting
the server appears to work and noatun can now run (though I have to kill
artsd to get Real video running again  (sheesh)

Sooooooooooo, thanks for all the help and comments so far and ummmm, where
might I go from here?

regards

Daryl

--
"Pascal is Pascal is Pascal is dog meat."
                -- M. Devine and P. Larson, Computer Science 340