All right you people, just try this (I repeated the procedure twice with
the same result):

1)
install a fresh 8.2 system
install the openoffice rpm included in 8.2 distro
everything works ok.

2)
uninstall the openoffice rpm
install openoffice.org 1.0.1 downloaded from openoffice.org site
everything works ok
now uninstall openoffice.org

3)
update your 8.2 system with all security patches and bugfixes available
now just try installing openoffice.org 1.0.1
won't install

try installing the original mandrake openoffice rpm
rpm installs, but if you try getting openoffice to work
won't work, aborted

staroffice 5.2 still works perfectly

evidently some update breaks openoffice
I'd like to understand which

If I su to root in an ordinary console I get no error messages while I try
to install openoffice.org
If I try installation from a su console I get the following error message:

_IceTransOpen: unable to parse address none

any idea what package touches this _IceTransOpen stuff ?

--
Michele Alzetta