On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Oliver Thieke wrote:

> Hi out there at the screens,
>
> I've got a borderline case here...  I'm in the process
> of switching from a Windows environment to an Mandrake
> based one. Right now I'm struggling with the following
> problem:
> I want to connect with a xterm-Window from my Mandrake Box
> to a SUN Solaris box.  I must use X since I want to start
> an X app located on the Solaris machine.
> I'm using a dual-boot workstation. On the Windows half
> with Hummingbird eXceed installed and used everything
> works fine and easy since years.
> Changing to Mandrake 8.2 I'm unable to figure out how
> to accomplish the same task. According to one of my LX
> books it should be as easy as using the following command:
>
>       xterm -display 66.66.66.66:0
>
> (assuming that 66.66.66.66 is the Solaris box' IP adress)
>
> But all I get is the following error message:
>
>       /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm.real Xt error: can't open display: 66.66.66.66:0
>
> (same holds true for variations of the -display option:
>   -display 66.66.66.66:0.0, -display 66.66.66.66  etc.)

It seems that you're trying to run an X application on the Solaris box
and have it display on the local Mandrake box. If so, try this:

Assuming the mandrake box is called host1 and the sun is host2:

On the local Mandrake box type in an Xterm:

  xhost + host2

  telnet host2

  (login)

  DISPLAY=host1:0; export DISPLAY

  xterm &

This should start an xterm on your local machine that's running on the
remote.