Although the system should not complain if you use more that eight
characters for a username, I recommend against it because many of the
utilities get agitated with more than eight characters.  Odd bits of
behavior that may occur include clipping of characters over eight and
failure to recognize and resolve the name to an actual UID.

What I recommend is to keep usernames of eight characters or less and
then use email aliases for your firstinitlastname@domain.  The school I
went to ages ago resolved this by using the first four of your last name
and the first four of your first name.  With the occasional rare
exception of a duplicate pattern, which would be handled on a
case-by-case basis, it worked well.

At work I use a first initial, last name combination also, but truncate
at eight characters.  I also add in several aliases for each users email
which include first initial, and full last name@domain, username@domain,
and firstname.lastname@domain.  Aliases are easy to setup.

On an offshoot, I have encountered systems which HARD limit usernames
AND passwords to eight characters.  SCO comes to mind.

     Woody

On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 21:48, James Sparenberg wrote:
> Albert
>
>   I actually do need more than 8.  You see our logins are often used in
> conjunction with e-mail 1st initial and last name... In my case that's
> 11 letters.  One guy at work has a 16 letter last name.  So yes without
> being unreasonable the 8 letter limit does cause some problems. I wish I
> knew how to get past the limit myself.  Although everything I've tried
> hasn't worked.  (Nor have I tried that hard yet)
>
> James
>

> On Tue, 2002-09-03 at 20:26, Mark Weaver wrote:
> > Albert E. Whale wrote:
> > > How do I eliminate the 8 character User ID on LM 8.2?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Albert E. Whale - CISSP
> >
> > Albert,
> >
> > I can't help but ask...why in the world would you wish to do so. That
> > limitation is part of the system design. Just how many characters did
> > you plan on needing per username? most systems I know of, including
> > WinNT, Win2K, Novell Netware, and all the *nix systems I've ever seen
> > typically use a 3 character username schema.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> > ----

> > Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
>

> ----

> Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
--
     Woody

Gatewood Green            Network/System Administrator
Email:                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.linif.org/     Linux in Idaho Falls Linux User Group