On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 19:06, David Relson wrote:
> At 06:50 PM 9/5/02, Ric Tibbetts wrote:
> >Ok, it's been a long time since I've needed to do this, and maybe I just
> >forgot how.
> >
> >But:
> >
> >To sort out duplicate lines in a text file, didn't "sort -u" do the
> >trick? Or am I getting fuzzy & old?
> >
> >I have a large text file that I receive on a regular basis ( a couple
> >times a week). I need to clean it up for import into a database. I'm
> >stuck on getting duplicate lines out. I swear, I just used to use "sort
> >-n", but that isn't working now.
> >
> >Can someone shed a little light on how to do this?
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >
> >         Ric
>
> "man sort" will show you what the "-n" option does.
>
> To remove duplicates, you can do "sort <in.file | uniq >out.file" or "sort
> -u <in.file >out.file".

Yep, exactly as I remembered it. But -u didn't seem to be working.
It turned out to be a "very" minor difference in the lines, in a very
large file.

The first two places I looked were "man sort", and "info sort". Both
said that -u should work.
I suspect that it does. The fault may have been mine on this one.

Thanks!

Ric