On Friday 04 October 2002 06:01 pm, Darwin Gottfried wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 13:48, Charlie wrote:
> [....]
>
> > I installed Dolphin my desktop came with _no_ icons at all at first boot.
> > The "enable desktop icons" button is checked.
>
> I've had this happen, where there aren't any desktop icons 3 times out
> of 11 install tests.  I wasn't paying attention at the time, (or better
> put, didn't care to look into it) as I was looking for other critical
> things to see if all was okay.  Clearly, it can and does happen.  Why?
> I'm not yet sure.

I'm not sure why either but since everything that I do care about works, I
haven't allowed this minor 'no icons' issue to bother me. :-)

As with anyone else; I've had installs pull some really strange things out of
the realm of possibility. Or maybe impossibility. Installing Mandrake 9.0 on
a friend's machine yesterday was an excercise in boredom.

Until she decided to click the network printer button in the summary stage.
_What network printer?_ LOL That's what I get for having to answer nature's
call at a 'crucial' time.

It's all back to normal now. The expected icons were there for that install.

Minor inconsistencies from Mandrake as usual. A whole lot better than this
agravating Compaq that doesn't want to "recover" from the original restore
disks. grrrrrr. If it were mine it would be a Linux box already. The owner
wants it to "work the way it's supposed to." Yeah....then why did they buy a
Compaq with Windows on it? ;-)
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada