Well, I finally managed to get ML 9.0 installed on my box, thanks to lots of
help from everyone here.

However, it looks like a number of things have changed (I'm not entirely sure
that they're all for the better, but that's just me :), and I'm having a
number of problems.  The most pressing, currently, is with msec.  I was able
to save my /etc directory to the Windows machine before doing the update that
turned into an install, and I'm now trying to bring my configurations back
across to the Linux machine.

In /etc/security/msec, I have two files I'm bringing across:  level.local and
perm.local.  In my level.local file, I have the following entries:

from mseclib import *

allow_reboot(1)
allow_user_list(1)
authorize_services(ALL)
enable_at_crontab(1)
password_aging(-1)
set_shell_timeout(0)
set_user_umask(22)

This worked in 8.2.  However, something seems to have been changed WRT the
syntax that it wants to see.  When I run msec to apply the changes, I get
this:

# msec
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/msec/msec.py", line 266, in ?
    commit_changes()
  File "/usr/share/msec/mseclib.py", line 24, in commit_changes
    apply(f[0], f[1])
  File "/usr/share/msec/libmsec.py", line 197, in set_user_umask
    set_umask('UMASK_USER', umask, 'users')
  File "/usr/share/msec/libmsec.py", line 184, in set_umask
    octal = int(umask, 8) | int(val, 8)
TypeError: int() can't convert non-string with explicit base

Can someone please let me know what this thing wants, so that I can have it
actually apply the security condistions that I want to have on my machine?
This thing is really killing me because I can't connect to the Linux box from
other machine on the local network, because msec (set for level 4) isn't
allowing connections from anywhere other than 127.0.0.1, and it keeps
setting/changing file permissions and ownerships and so on to values that I
don't want.  And what's in my perm.local file doesn't come into play because
it doesn't like what's in my level.local file.  Any help would be
appreciated!

                   --Dave