On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 09:19 -0700, Michael Holt wrote:
> I haven't used the multisession option myself (under linux), I've done it
> in the past under windows but it's not very efficient.  Everytime you open
> and close a cdr it takes actually quite a bit of room on the disc
>
> http://www.roxio.com/en/support/cdr/multisession.html
>
> This is a windows burning tool that gives a little explaination of what
> multisession does.
>
> As I said, I don't use it, but I have seen the option under 'gcombust' so
> I believe that just checking the box would do the trick.
>
> http://www.abo.fi/~jmunsin/gcombust/FAQ.shtml
>
> This is another little faq that could help you troubleshoot if you have
> problems - but I wouldn't modify anything until you've actually tried to
> burn a disc and found it didn't work.
>
> There are quite a few gui clients already packaged for mandrake, most of
> them have 'buttons' that cover the options you're looking for.

And if you want to do it in a text terminal:

Task: Save /home/gonzalo on a multi-session CD-R

Pre-Task: Determine which device is your CDRW:

Open a text console (xterm) and su to root.

Type: cdrecord --scanbus

The output shows your device in the format 0,0,0. You only need the
second and third number.

# cd /home/gonzalo

1. Make an image of the data:

    # mkisofs -R -L -T -o foo.raw /home/gonzalo

    where 'foo.raw' is a given name whatever suits you, the date of
    the backup like 10192002.raw as example.

2. Burn this image as first track on a new CD-R:

    # cdrecord -multi -v speed=2 dev=0,0 ./foo.raw

    where 'dev=0,0' is the device you determined earlier.
    And you can of course change the speed!

3. Determine Start and End of the track:

    # cdrecord -msinfo dev=0,0

    which puts out 2 numbers like this:

    start,end

4. Make an image for the next track:

    # mkisofs -R -L -T -C start,end -M 4,0 -o foo.raw /home/gonzalo

    where you need to put in the 'sart,end' numbers you determined in
    step 2. And you may change the name 'foo.raw' into something
    sensible.

5. Burn next track:

    # cdrecord -multi -v speed=2 dev=4,0 ./foo.raw

After that you can go on by repeating steps 3 to 5

Thats what I'm doing all the time (if I'm not too lazy)

wobo